Monday, March 9, 2009

International Women's Day

Oh well by now most of us know that every year on march 8'th, all and sundry get out and celebrate women. In effect telling us that being a women is or can only be celebrated once a year while being a male is something which has to be looked down upon as we still don't have any sort of international mens day or something like that. Lets not get into the whole cynical part of this.

Was browsing a forum a couple of hours back and one of the threads that got my attention was, Name your favorite women and believe you me there were the usual answers like Bipasa, Aishwarya & their ilk to even Sonia Gandhi etc.. but it was really disheartening to see that only a couple of them mentioned their mom or sisters as their favorite women. Only thing I can infer from this is that for everyone except that two, women are symbols of sex/pleasure and not revered as done according to the so called "Indian culture." I am generalizing a lot over here but I don't think I'll be far off from my observations even if the sample is taken from a broader population. Alas! the more things change, the same it'll be.

No matter how many days you earmark in the calendar to celebrate or bring out special supplements in the newspapers, you can't really liberate women, if you can't respect them and show them some dignity.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice one... thanks for not thinking like every other guy.

SaTtY said...

Leaving me aside, have you thought along these lines in the first place?

Anonymous said...

yep..a post is in the works

SaTtY said...

We shall wait then.

Sudhie said...

I am not sure, what i would have posted..But while posting in forum, i won't spare much time before posting any thing in forums :). My post will be the reflection of my mood. But i would have told many people many times that my Mom is my favorite :)